As a college librarian, I often hear stressed-out students searching for primary sources say, "I'll take anything." Don't settle for just anything. There is a treasury of primary source material available electronically. Peruse my selection of 200-plus primary source sites by conducting a keyword search, exploring the tag cloud at left, or browsing by historical era. You can also visit my Delicious and Diigo sites to review my bookmarks. Here's hoping you find what you're looking for.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

An end to another academic year

"The sea-shore is a sort of neutral ground, a most advantageous point from which to contemplate this world."
                                         Henry David Thoreau
                                         "The Sea And The Desert" in Cape Cod

Another academic year has ended here at Stonehill College. I will be leaving my post at the reference desk for the summer. I'll return with the students in late August.

I am fortunate to be a Cape Codder and look forward to spending the next couple of months enjoying all this peninsula has to offer during the summer season. I'll continue to post to this blog during my summer break. Like Thoreau, I've always found the seashore a most advantageous point for contemplation.

For the full text of  the writings inspired by Thoreau's Cape Cod excursions, visit The Thoreau Society website. The above image of Thoreau comes from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' Department of Conservation and Recreation. The picture below is of the beautiful Coast Guard beach in Eastham, Massachusetts. That photo comes from the National Park Service.

No comments:

Post a Comment